Children being taken away from one of their parents.

Hello Fabulous People,
I am going to talk about the affect being taken away from one parent can have on a child. They are many things that could happen to a child that has been taken away from one of their parent particularly if they have been in their life since they have been born.

Behavioural Problems:
One of the things that can happen to a child who has been taken away from one of their parents is behavioural problems. Experts say that this is because they get distressed that their parent is no longer around. This can happen to a child of any age from babies to teenagers. Babies and toddlers tend to have problems sleeping and general behaviour issues such as not following what their parent is asking. As the child gets older, the behavioural problems can get worse, it can start off just not following instructions from their teachers or their parents. As they get older it can progress into them being involved in anti-social behaviour or being in trouble with the police. Depending on the child’s age the result will be different as I have previously explained. They can suffer from distress at any point in their lives and it can affect them for longer than parents think. Being taken away from one parent can also result in the child hating the parent they grew up with. Many people say that they resent their parent for not letting them have a relationship with their mother/father.

Parent Alienation:
Parent alienation is when the resident parent turns the child intentionally or intentionally against the non-resident parent. This can also cause behavioural problems in children because they can’t spend time with someone that they want to and more than likely miss the non-resident parent. Children can develop a condition called Parental Alienation Syndrome, this is the medical term for emotional distress that it can cause on the child because of being taken away from their parent.
‘This situation is often referred to in UK courts as ‘implacable hostility’ caused by the ‘controlling’ parent subjecting the child to this form of emotional abuse. This can have devastating life-long effects for the children, excluded parent, grandparents and the child’s other parent.’ This quote shows that studies show have happened to children as a result of parental alienation.
A link that could help you learn more about this subject is:

Parental Responsibility:
As of 2004 all fathers who have been named on a birth certificate at a child’s birth will be given automatic parental responsibility. If the parent is registered on the child’s birth certificate, they automatically have the rights listed below: (Taken from Families need
There is no difference in law between the powers of mothers and fathers.
(b) the child: though in most instances the child will not be made aware of parental responsibility, in separated families the child needs to have a positive image of the parent they no longer lives with in order to bolster his own self-esteem. Lord Justice Ward’s words from the 1995 judgment Re S (Parental Responsibility) are frequently quoted to emphasise this aspect.
(c) public authorities; all are more willing to fully engage with a parent who has formal parental responsibility and to treat him as an equal parent, than a parent who does not.
‘The resident parent is not always entitled to act without first consulting her ex-partner. Back in 1998 the Court of Appeal (Re H (Parental Responsibility) said that a father with parental responsibility would have to be consulted on “schooling, serious medical problems and other important occurrences in the child’s life’.’
The law states that people with parental responsibility need to be informed about any big things that happen in the child’s life such as medical operations, schools they attend, where they live and if you want to move the child to another country.
“Married or not, you do not have any rights to your child, you have responsibilities. Your child has the right to grow up with the love and care of both parents. It is your responsibility to protect the rights of your child”.
I hope the information that I have provided in this blog helps you with any queries you may have on this matter. There are some helpful websites out there that will give you more information on these matters. These are: and

Thank you for reading and hope to see you again soon.
Bambi x


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s